Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Reflection On High School

One of the things I learned in high school was that everyone's main goal is to fit in.  Once they feel like they fit in, other goals start popping up.  Also, once they fit in, they tend to stay with that group of friends all through high school.  However, something must be wrong with me.  I felt like I fit in when I was a cheerleader, but then I started to feel like the girls were snotty, fake, materialistic, and way too argumentative.  So I decided I didn't like them anymore.  Then I felt like I really fit in with the choir group, but then when my teacher left, I no longer felt the same.  Now, I'm still not quite so sure where I fit in and am afraid that I will have to start all over again in college.  I'm really not good at making new friends.
Anyways, I remember having the notion that particular people were perfect.  They got good grades, didn't get in to trouble, were involved in many things, and had loving parents.  I always wondered how come my life didn't seem as easy as their's.  Towards the end of high school I just felt like an outsider who floated around not belonging anywhere.  This gave me the chance to observe and, yes, eavesdropped more.  What I learned was that the people who I had thought were perfect for so long, weren't.  They were more likely to be the ones partying EVERY weekend, getting drunk, doing drugs, and hooking up.  (You'd be surprised the things teenagers talk about in public when they think no one is listening.)  This realization completely turned my world upside down.  It didn't make any sense.  Here were people who, in my eyes, shouldn't be going anywere in life but they were going away to college.  And here was little old me, actually doing what I was supposed to be doing and somehow it wasn't enough.  I was staying behind in the fall.  And here's a fun fact:  my reputation from high school is slut, partyer, no-good.  Isn't that hilarious?  I'd like to no where they got that from.
I didn't belong in high school.  It just wasn't for me.  I remember going into high school and beeing so innocent.  I came out hardened with no hope for the future.  Why are we forced to go to a place that makes us feel that way?  Or it could just be me.  The one thing I will always remember from high school is how badly I wanted to get out.  I feel like that's all I ever want.  Is to get out.  But that's another story for another day.  One that will probably never be shared on here. 
That's all I have to say about high school.
Wait one more thing: it sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment